- Advocate on behalf of children, youth and young adults to improve their understanding of and access to designated services
- Monitor, review, audit and publicly report on designated services for children and youth
- Conduct independent reviews and investigations into the critical injuries or deaths of children receiving reviewable services
The authority of the Representative is defined by reviewable services and designated services in the Act.
The Representative’s authority to initiate a review or investigation is limited to reviewable services.
Designated services are government-funded services or programs for children and their families including but not limited to:
- family support
- child protection
- foster care
- children and youth with disabilities
- early childhood development and child care services
- mental health and addiction services for children
- youth justice
- services for youth and young adults during their transition to adulthood
- CLBC services for young adults between their 19th and 27th birthdays