New forums added in the Lower Mainland! We are looking for young people ages 13 to 25 who have ever experienced housing insecurity or any form of homelessness. These Forums will offer an opportunity for youth to share their voice for change to inform an RCY public report that includes youth recommendations for a provincial plan to end youth homelessness.
SEPTEMBER 25, 2018 TO OCTOBER 5, 2018
Youth homelessness is a significant rights issue that needs to be addressed through a provincial plan to end youth homelessness that ensures every youth has a way home. RCY is supporting youth with lived experience of homelessness to share their voices to inform a provincial plan to prevent and respond to youth homelessness in B.C.
Youth Against Youth Homelessness B.C. is a group of 12 youth leaders from across the province who have co-created Youth Forums to elevate the voices of youth. These Forums will be youth-led with fun, solution-focused activities. The Forums are about three hours long and include a meal and an honorarium to honour youth voice.
We are looking for young people ages 13 to 25 who have ever experienced housing insecurity or any form of homelessness. These Forums will offer an opportunity for youth to share their voice for change to inform an RCY public report that includes youth recommendations for a provincial plan to end youth homelessness.
We have added two new youth forums in the Lower Mainland:
- Abbotsford: Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018 from 5:30 pm to 8 pm at the Foundry – 32555 Simon Ave. (Impact Lobby)
Indigenous Youth Forum:
- Vancouver: Thursday, Oct. 4, 2018 from 5 pm to 8 pm in the small boardroom – 3284 E. Broadway (at Rupert). (Vancouver Aboriginal Child and Family Services Society)
If you want to participate, please RSVP to: Katherine.McParland@rcybc.ca
Youth Forums have been held in the following communities.
- Vancouver: Monday, Aug. 20, 2018 from 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm at the Broadway Youth Resource Centre – 2455 Fraser St. (First Call B.C. Child & Youth Advocacy Coalition)
- Vernon: Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2018 from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm at Teen Junction – 3104 37th Ave. (North Okanagan Youth & Family Services Society)
- Kelowna: Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018 from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm at the Okanagan Boys & Girls Club – 6311 Richter St.
- Prince George: Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018 from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at CSFS Services – 1145 2nd Ave. (Carrier Sekani Family Services)
- New Westminster: Thursday, Aug. 30, 2018 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm at Aunt Leah’s –816 20th St. New Westminster (Aunt Leah’s Society)
- Kamloops: Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2018 from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm at A Way Home Kamloops office – 653 Victoria St. (A Way Home Kamloops Society)
- Victoria: Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018 from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the Downtown Community Centre – 755 Pandora Ave. (Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness)
- Nanaimo: Friday, Sept. 7, 2018 from 12:30 to 3:30 pm at the Nanaimo Aboriginal Centre – Nuutsumuut Lelum, 1406 Bowen Rd.
- Surrey: Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018 from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm at Newton Youth Resource Centre – 114 –13479 76th Ave. (B.C. Poverty Reduction Coalition)
- Nelson: Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018 from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the Nelson & District Youth Centre –608 Lake St. (Nelson Community Services)
- Cowichan: Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the Duncan United Church – 246 Ingram St. (CMHA of Cowichan Valley)
If you have any questions, please contact the Project Lead: Katherine.McParland@rcybc.ca